The Many Ways Expressive Arts Therapy can help your Child
Traditional talk therapy is not as effective with kids. They may have limited verbal memory or language skills, but they still need to feel heard and understood. Children do not live in the realm of words like adults do. Some are reluctant to talk and can bottle up their emotions and repress them. They can have big emotions that have no place to go and act out with inappropriate behavior. They express themselves through the senses and symbolically, through play and motor actions. Expressive Arts Therapy engages the senses and evokes the power of the imagination to bring a sense of calm and peace to mind and body. There are many benefits to play therapy that extend to children of all ages, including:
- Using creative solutions to problems
- Developing acceptance of self and self esteem
- Developing respect and empathy for others
- Expressing emotions
- Learning new social skills and familial skills
- Developing greater responsibility
- Healing trauma
- Developing trust and faith in their abilities
- Using the imagination to promote insight and understanding
We work as a team to help your son or daughter be successful. I work one-on-one with your child, utilizing the arts to help them adjust and adapt to challenges in life. Additionally, I utilize software technology and interactive games to help moderate your child’s emotions, reduce stress and promote self-regulation.
For more information, contact me at (778)389-9234 or email@example.com to see how I can help your child.